03 abril 2017

April 3rd 1968: King’s last speechOn this day in 1968, the...







April 3rd 1968: King’s last speech

On this day in 1968, the American civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. made his last speech, the day before his assassination. King was one of many leaders of the Civil Rights Movement for racial equality in America, but became the face of the movement for his non-violent tactics and powerful oratory. In 1963, during the March on Washington, King delivered the crowning speech of the struggle - the ‘I have a dream’ speech. Beyond his role in combating racial inequality, King also focused on tackling poverty and advocating peace, especially during the Vietnam War. In April 1968, King visited Memphis in solidarity with striking sanitation workers. It was at the Mason Temple in this city that he delivered his ‘I’ve Been to the Mountaintop’ speech. The very next day, King was assassinated at his Memphis hotel by James Earl Ray. His final speech was remarkably prophetic, as he appeared to acknowledge he would not live long. King, a Baptist minister, invoked the Biblical story of Moses, who led the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt but died before he could enter the Promised Land.

“Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I’m not concerned about that now. I just want to do God’s will. And He’s allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I’ve looked over. And I’ve seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land.”

Related post





Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
eXTReMe Tracker
Designed ByBlogger Templates