28 fevereiro 2017

What's your favorite time period to read about and why

Great question! My academic area of expertise is nineteenth century United States, around the time of the Civil War. I find it fascinating because it was such a pivotal moment in America’s transition from revolutionary colony to global superpower. Plus, my dissertations examined fringe religious movements, and there were lots of them during the nineteenth century!

While I’ve never studied it properly I also really like Japanese history, especially the period of isolation and its dramatic end with the Meiji Restoration. It’s so interesting how they just suddenly decided to break with historic traditions and adopt of a ‘modern’ way of life.

As a Brit myself, I also like reading about twentieth century Britain. After WW2 the empire continued to fall apart and Britain faced such an identity crisis as it sought to establish its role in a postcolonial world. It certainly wasn’t always pretty, but it’s an important moment in my country’s history.

Thanks for the question!

Related post





Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
eXTReMe Tracker
Designed ByBlogger Templates