05 maio 2015

nprbooks: In 1887, American journalist Nellie Bly had herself...



nprbooks:

In 1887, American journalist Nellie Bly had herself committed to New York’s notorious Blackwell’s Island insane asylum – on purpose, as part of an assignment from the New York World newspaper. When she was released 10 days later, she had seen cruelty that made her shudder. In her account for the World, she wrote:

“I left the insane ward with pleasure and regret. Pleasure that I was once more able to enjoy the free breath of heaven; regret that I could not have brought with me some of the unfortunate women who lived and suffered with me, and who I am convinced are just as sane as I was and am now myself.”

The story that resulted is called “Ten Days in a Mad-House,” and it’s one of many pieces collected in a new volume, Nellie Bly: Around the World in Seventy-Two Days and Other Writings — released this year in honor of Bly’s 150th birthday. The book’s editor, Jean Lutes, talked about Bly’s legacy on Morning Edition yesterday.

Image via Library of Congress

Related post





Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
eXTReMe Tracker
Designed ByBlogger Templates